As a whole, I found Week 5 to be quite enjoyable even more so than Week 4. One of the greatest challenges was getting into a photographer mindset and finding content close by. I have never been much of a photographer other than the cliche tourist photo ops. I only have a camera phone so I knew going in that I may not be to capture everything I wanted to. However, I was surprised by the variety of settings such as filters that were available and tried my best to incorporate them into my work.
The best assignment by far was the photoblitz which made concentrate on everything around me in order to find decent content in the allotted time. I roamed some of the wooded areas on campus and found some great examples of lighting and shading. The construction areas also had some unique equipment and colorful items which you may not immediately consider. As far as photography is concerned, I found it to be a balancing act between using filters while not coming off as cheap or corny.
Secondly, I enjoyed the visual assignments because of the creative liberties that were given. There were a variety of assignments to choose from, each different from the last. I chose to make a video in one, a gif in the other, and pictures for the third. They were all challenging because of the creative content and form in which they were made. However, I must say that it has gotten easier to use a variety of mediums. I think the daily creates have helped a lot in this.
If there is one thing I need to work it is probably the storytelling idea. Having gotten comfortable with the content and applications I think it will be easier to progress into actual storytelling. In all I think Week 5 was enjoyable and something I could continue to get into.
Here are the assignments completed this week:
2) Best of Set
1) Apophenia – 3.5 Stars
2) Where Did The Soda Go? – 2 Stars
3) Journey to Somewhere – 3.5 Stars
– I think this was a great assignment and a great medium for storytelling. Instead of recording industrial noise pollution, I simply opened my window and took in the night time sounds.
– This daily create was a bit challenging because I do not have photoshop. However, I did my best using Windows Paint. I implanted Jim’s head on the body of Sasha Baron Cohan’s character from “The Dictator”. I thought this added a bit of comic relief.
3) Road Sign
– Once again using Windows Paint I recreated a classic scene from the cartoon “Coyote and the Roadrunner”. These cartoons were a staple of my childhood and thought it would be clever to incorporate it.
– I chose a picture of a tiger’s eye which is a literal analogy to the song Eye of the Tiger by Survivor. Having been a big fan of the Rocky movies, this song was the first that popped into my head.
I joined a radio group which included Kevin, Ryan, Daniel, and Thomas going by the name Picante Radio.